What Does An OT Do?
Occupational Therapy uses a family centered approach to enable children to engage in the activities they want and need to do. This is done using play as a means to assist in the treatment of motor, sensory, cognitive, social and emotional needs of the child.
Areas of Development
What Does My OT Work On With My Child?
An OT assesses a child to see what areas of development they are not functioning at compared to their peers. Your OT will be looking at:
- Gross Motor Development– for example motor planning, strength, endurance, core stability, posture.
- Fine Motor Development– such as handwriting, scissoring, shoe laces, feeding independently with utensils.
- Executive Functioning– Memory, planning and initiating tasks, organisation, shifting thinking.
Social/Emotional – impulse control/self regulation, making and keeping friendships, turn taking, flexible thinking, theory of mind (knowing that other people have different ideas than you)
- Sensory Processing– feeding issues, clothing sensitivities, attention disorders, noise sensitivities.
- Activities of Daily Living– an OT will assist with adaption or skill building in areas such as dressing, feeding, transport, hygiene and grooming, toileting, mobility, managing money, safety and travelling.
- Equipment prescription– such as wheelchairs, specific bedding, specialised computer programs
- Home modifications– an OT may modify your bathroom or kitchen to be easily accessible
Why does it look like they’re just ‘playing‘?
Your OT is the unique position to use fun and meaningful activities (often games) that match the skills we are working on to build the motor and sensory foundations needed for children to function independently. In essence, we put the FUN in FUNctional. For example, a game of Trouble is perfect for fine motor precision and turn taking; Monkey Bars work on a upper limb strength and coordination, intrinsic hand muscles and the proprioceptive and vestibular sensory systems.
Your Child’s Therapy Starts Here
Our clinic is located at:
2 Fennell St
Our operating hours are:
Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 5:30pm